Friday, June 23, 2006

Thoughts That Follow Solstice



Solstice has had me thinking about the ancient past. The contrast between how so much remains the same while life itself is so different. The solstice and other events of nature have always been here as long as there has been life on earth. Yet the lives we humans live today bears very little resemblence to those of our most distant ancestors. Below is a poem I wrote a few years ago after reading an article about the lives of various groups of ancient women.

Womanhouse

(Our female ancestors first built
Themselves and their families
Round shaped shelters.
-Faith Wilding-)

Dwellings, round and earthen,
sheltering wombs
spun of reeds and grass,

houses of thread and time
built by ancient mothers as
sacred spaces. . .
protective environments.

Single rooms,
life supporting chambers,
vaginal and warm,
somewhere between inner and outer,
between public and private.

A woman space,
wisely woven from love and duty,
encircling the rituals of daily life.

© 1998 Betty Becquart Sanders

5 Comments:

Blogger Betty S said...

I can't believe blogger "FINALLY" let me post a photo. I've been having fits for weeks because it wouldn't let me.

10:24 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool poem, Betty!

11:20 AM CDT  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

And what a photo! I love it. Betty, I always love your poems.

12:33 PM CDT  
Blogger Michele said...

I really enjoyed your poem, Betty.
Thanks for sharing it with us in blogland.
I like your insights.
More?

8:32 PM CDT  
Blogger The Pink Spyder said...

Hey, dahlin' - this is really cool. Loved the poem!

5:41 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!