Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Stubborn Ounces

Twice in One Week! Holy Cow!!

I read this poem years ago and loved it. Saved it. Kept it on my bulletin board for a long time. And then one day, it disappeared. I didn't know how and I didn't know where it went. I'd thought I'd read it in the church newsletter so I spent one afternoon recently going through the archives of all the newsletters since 1980. Then while wading through the dark abyss of the backroom McGee closet looking for wedding memoribilia (specifically our vows), I pulled open a drawer and GREAT SCOTT there it was.

I am going to share it on my blog, partly because some of you might like it, but mostly so I'll have it printed somewhere where I won't lose it again.
Life is Good.

“Stubborn Ounces”
(To One Who Doubts the Worth of
Doing Anything If You Can’t Do Everything)
By Bonaro W. Overstreet

You say the Little efforts that I make
will do no good: they never will prevail
to tip the hovering scale
where Justice hangs in balance.

I don’t think
I ever thought they would.
But I am prejudiced beyond debate
in favor of my right to choose which side
shall feel the stubborn ounces of my weight.

5 Comments:

Blogger Rayke said...

You should be the star of this weeks VH1's "Best Week Ever".

Nice poem, too. Reminds me of the people who don't vote in the Presidential elections because they think their vote won't count.

I'm just sayin'...

6:38 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

That's a poem I can definitely get into. Never have so many ridiculed s few for trying to make a difference.

But it's like the old folk song says, when one and one and fifty make a million, we'll see that day come 'round.

11:35 PM CDT  
Blogger Betty S said...

I never miss an election and seldom miss voting on an issue. Sometimes I agree with the majority, but most of the time I don't. Most often I go to the ballot box knowing full well that my guy or issue will not win, but I always go anyway. I always figure that if I don't vote, then I don't have any right to complain about what I end up with.

7:43 AM CDT  
Blogger Betty S said...

I agree, X. How many of us, after Afganistan, were screaming,"Wait. Don't go into Iraq until we know more. Rushing is a mistake." We weren't just the minority, we were a mote in the widening duststorm of patriotic rage. I'm not a total pacifist. I still support going into Afganistan, which is now reverting to the Taliban because most of our resources are needed in Iraq.

7:51 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How cool that you found it again, and in the same week as your wedding ring no less :)

9:38 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!