Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Da Vinci Code - Don't Trust the Critics



What the F* is going on? I went to see Da Vinci Code last night. Other than the fact it was a very exciting movie, I am hard pressed to see what all the uproar has been about.

Yes. The two main villians were members of Opus Dei. I've seen movies where the villians were Republicans, Democrats, Methodists, and members of the ladies auxiliary. So what? Didn't these people watch the movie before they started ranting about it?

Critics said it was long and boring. Except for the first few minutes, time flew by faster than in most movies I've watched. I didn't "feel" like I'd been watching a 2 hour movie. It was fast paced and very exciting. It was a wonderful movie.

I didn't see anything in it that would undermine a person's faith in Christianity. It left the believability of the main "doctrinal challenge" in the plot very vague and unprovable at the end. Basically saying, it's what you believe that counts. The only character I saw who really hated Christianity was one of the villians. (can't say more without ruining it for you.)

I think we have just seen months of Much Ado About Nothing, and very little praise for what is a very excellent movie.

I read the book and didn't see how they could possible pack in all the key points and make the movie work, but Ron Howard did it. The movie is amazing. This critic would highly recommend it to everybody.

6 Comments:

Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

I don't get it either. I read the book and enjoyed it. Plan to see the movie this weekend and am looking forward to it.

Like you said, villains have been everything from politicians to mothers. It's fiction.

I've been so disappointed in the reviews that say it's long and boring. I get a little sick of today's movies- intended for people with the attention spans of gnats.

I watched Harold and Maude last night. Again. A lot of people call that a weird, long and boring movie. I love it. I love the oddness, the camera angles, the characters, the humor and the love story. It's one of the few movies that makes me laugh out loud. :)

All well, all the fuss has turned into more sales for Dan Brown. Guess writing controversy pays.

1:38 PM CDT  
Blogger Betty S said...

I agree. It's a great book, and a great movie. And it's FICTION! What part of "fiction" don't people understand?

BTW: It didn't feel like a long movie. It was over before I knew it, things were happening so fast.

I've seldom seen a book translated to the screen so well. It should probably win awards instead of being panned.

I agree, Heather, Dan wrote fiction, not a theological discorse on the MM controversy. I've never understood that controversy either. If it was true, so what? He was still Jesus. I don't see how that could diminish him spiritually.

It was a great movie. I'm just upset with critics and people who don't look at things in context of what they are. [fiction]

2:28 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I didn't have much doubt that it would be a very enjoyable movie, especially since Ron Howrd sat in the director's chair. I plan on seeing it sometime soon, although I'm sure it'll be around for weeks.

For all I know, the studios could have generated the hype in order to spur interest.

BTW, Rinda, I agree that "Harold and Maude" is a wonderful film, and I like it a lot.

2:30 PM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed the book too and I'm looking forward to seeing the movie :)

10:31 PM CDT  
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

You know, I had my husband all convinced to take me out to see the movie the Friday it opened, but then heard how bad it was and he said he'd prefer to wait until it hit cable. Now I'm mad.

I DID hear that in the movie, they really toned down a lot of the Catholic controversy - so that might explain why you didn't see it. But I read it loud and clear in the book.

9:49 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I agree with you, Jill. The book is quite decidedly Anti Catholic and Pro Priory.

3:02 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!