Sunday, February 19, 2006

Last Post Ended: "Then you open the door..."



Except today, I can't even open the door.

The back sliding door (that puppy uses) keeps freezing shut and we have to get knives and hairdryers to keep it open.

I think part of the problem is that it's in the hot tub room. In cold weather the tub runs constantly to keep the pipes and mechanical "stuff" from freezing. The inside of the sliding doors (They face north so we have 2 - one inside the other.) develop condensation and then freeze leaving "Wintry Mix" clumped like iceflows down the inside of the doors.

Arggggh!!!

It's made me think about those Ice Hotels you see on the travel chanel. Theirs always look so much more romantic. (See photo above)
Canada: http://www.icehotel-canada.com/en/images/photos/index.en.php
Sweden: http://www.scantours.com/ice_hotel.htm

On a more positive note, I've used this down time to catch up on my critiques. Because of my health I've had to miss a couple of critique group meetings--which I really, really hate to do. (They "will" talk about you if you're not there. Evil people. Evil to the core. Which is probably why I love them so much.) Lately they have been writing like the demons from hell were on their tails (or keyboards). I have one more person's WIP to do this morning and then I can focus on my own, which doesn't have an editor's deadline looming in it's face.

Ice and Winter Quotes for the Day:

“If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance” - Unknown

“Love is like racing across the frozen tundra on a snowmobile which flips over, trapping you underneath. At night, the ice-weasels come.” -Groening

“A book must be an ice-axe to break the seas frozen inside our soul.” - Kafka

“Constant kindness can accomplish much. As the sun makes ice melt, kindness causes misunderstanding, mistrust, and hostility to evaporate.” - Schweitzer

"A lot of people like snow. I find it to be an unnecessary freezing of water." -Carl Reiner

"In the bleak midwinter Frosty wind made moan,
Earth stood hard as iron, Water like a stone;
Snow had fallen, snow on snow, Snow on snow,
In the bleak midwinter, Long ago."
- Christina Rossetti

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer." -Albert Camus

7 Comments:

Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

What do you mean, Last Post?

1:19 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Rinda, It was the one before this one.

Scared you didn't I?

1:28 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

MIKE!!
So cool to hear from you.
You can find Jenn at SuperHotJenn over at Xanga.

Griffin is so cute. I'm checking out the blog.

1:30 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very cool picture of the ice hotel! LOL on the Carl Reiner quote }:)

10:56 PM CST  
Blogger Dana Pollard said...

I'll just dance on the darn ice, then.

10:34 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

"Thou art all ice. Thy kindness freezes." - William Shakespeare

“You never really know your friends from your enemies until the ice breaks” - Eskimo Proverb

“I worked in a health food store once. A guy came in and asked me, "If I melt dry ice, can I take a bath without getting wet?"” - Steven Wright

“A smile is a powerful weapon; you can even break ice with it” - Anon

Have you ever noticed how many famous quotes Anon has. He must be a really smart guy!

7:21 PM CST  
Blogger Kelli McBride said...

The Carl Reiner quote is classic!

And do I really have to dance on ice? Could I not cautiously scuttle across like a "pair of ragged claws" (TS Eliot)? I would have to scuttle because "I grow old, I grow old, I shall wear the cuffs of my trousers rolled" (Eliot). Hey, don't hold me to the exact wording - I'm quoting off the top of my head, which causes my hair a lot of distress. Or is that dis-tress? ;-)

11:42 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!