Thursday, December 20, 2007

Update #3



Within moments of launching the last post, the power went out again and stayed off through Wednesday. For two more nights we slept on the floor in front of the fire place. This time with a space heater powered by very long extension cords running across the yard, over the fence and plugged into a neighbor's house. (They, fortunately, had power.)

I think I am starting to get seriously lethargic and depressed. I could never live in Alaska. Extended darkness and lack of light get to me in a really big way. I was sort of surprised at how quickly and powerfully it impacted me.
I don't think candle light will ever feel romantic again.

4 Comments:

Blogger X. Dell said...

Darkness has that way of getting people down. It affects my mood too (I've suffered from clinical depression my entire life).

Then again, as a writer, I wonder if you might be able to parlay that depression into a classic novel.

Just a thought.

8:32 AM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

I flew N back for the holidays so she would not be depressed, alone in the empty dorms, and the dead-of-winter nights almost two hours longer than here. I followed her latitude around the globe and it is the same as Moscow, Russia and Sitka , Alaska. And all of Scotland is north of her, where my patrilineal ancestors came from. Hearty Scots indeed.

Stay well.

J

6:34 AM CST  
Blogger Unknown said...

Okay, so I've read on down, about the top half.

Tough times. I will be thinking about you all and, as the Quakers say, hold you in the light.

What a treasure trove. I "never" forward stuff but I have now stolen several things and broadcast them as BCCs. (Not anything attributable, unless you wrote the dog and cat diaries.)

7:06 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

"X", I actually considered that as I set in the cold dark house on the verge of screaming. I can imagine a story where a woman, who is isolated and without power or means of escape, slowly goes insane over the course of a winter. By Spring, she doesn't recognize warmth, light, or help when it does come because her mind is trapped forever in a delusion of darkness.

Jon, thanks for holding us in the light. I've come to appreciate that concept more than you could possibly imagine. (In a literal as well as a physical sense)

8:18 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!