Sunday, November 04, 2007

Life Gets Complicated

I thought I would post a very quick update and let everyone know what's going on.

Just when I thought life was going to calm down a little, my 86 year old Mom injured her hip Sept. 26th (thankfully NOT a fracture), layed in bed for a month, became weak and loss the ability to get up on her own, took too many asprin and other pills for pain, and by October 24th began bleeding internally and throwing up blood. We spent over a week in the hospital in critical care. Thursday she transfered to a skilled nursing facility for rehab hoping it will help her regain the strength to walk with her walker and drive again.

She is really frightened at the mess she's in and wants me with her most of the time. That's lowered just about everything else in my life to a very low priority. If she can't regain the strength to walk, it will have a substantial impact upon the length and quality of her life.

I still try to read the blogs about every other day before I go to bed.

You guys have great and sometimes very funny things to say.

Don't Worry.
I'll be back.

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're in my thoughts. Life can get difficult and full. Remember, you have good friends who care. :)

9:21 AM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((Betty)))

9:48 AM CST  
Blogger X. Dell said...

You know we'll still be here when you get back. We're praying, though, that your mother recovers fully.

Bless you and yours.

12:56 AM CST  
Blogger Rayke said...

Update the update. I heard you were sick as well...?

12:16 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Yes. Well, I got sick Saturday, Sunday and Today. I am going back to work tomorrow come hell or high water. I no longer have a fever, so I should be okay. In the meantime, I lost 5 pounds in 3 days, so there is an up-side, I suppose.

7:50 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Mom had a bed-wreck today. Her roommate at the rehab center (who is 90 years old, tiny as a mouse and has no legs) was moving around. Mom heard her shout out something and her bed came flying over into moms. Nurses rushed in from everywhere. We never did figure out what happened. mom says when you get older you don't have car wrecks anymore, you have bed wrecks. I told mom to just be glad that she wasn't sitting on the porta-potty behind the curtin between the 2 beds when it happened. It would give a whole new meaning to letting shit fly.

7:56 PM CST  
Blogger X. Dell said...

I wonder if Geico insures hospital beds?

Get well soon, my friend.

2:00 AM CST  
Blogger Rayke said...

Ha. I smell a Fox spin-off show...

"World's Deadliest Bed Wrecks"

11:30 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Mom's progress is slow, but at least she can now hold down food. I'm exhausted and need a break. I've been making 3-4 trips a day and spending hours helping to resolve pain and medication problems. Those seem to have settled down a little bit now. I spoke with her tonight about taking an evening or two a week to have dinner with friends or something. I'd still see her in the afternoons. She is agreeable to that. But, this close to T-Day a lot of my friends are leaving town or spending time with family. I know an opportunity will open up. I just need to watch for it.

10:36 PM CST  
Blogger Michele said...

HUGS, Betty!
Good gravy, the stress and emotional upheavals you've been dealing with.
So sorry to hear about your Mom.

I hope all the Health Care Proxy's and stuff are up to date.
Now that I work in a Elder Law office, I'm learning SO many things to think about when it comes time to take care of MY aging parents.
In fact, I was horrified to learn the state of their protection at yesterday's T-day gathering.

I'm seeing first hand how important it is, BUT for a change, I'm in a position to DO something to help and that makes me feel good.

AND speaking of feeling good, you are a good daughter to be doing what you are doing. It's certainly not easy, it's a labor of love. I hope YOU are getting lots of hugs and support for your own well being.
You're important too, Betty and it's easy to lose yourself in everything you have to remember to do.

More hugs!
Michele

11:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!