Wednesday, March 28, 2007

We Lost Our Dear Daisy



We lost Daisy Monday afternoon.


She'd gotten into the trash and evidentally ate something very deadly and fast acting. She was sick all night Sunday. Monday morning I took her to the vet. At that point we thought it was just an upset tummy and she would be fine. About 2:30 Monday afternoon, the vet tracked me down at the Orthopedic surgeon's office where I was having a followup appointment and told me Daisy had taken a bad turn for the worse and lapsed into a coma. Jenn & I left almost immediately and by the time we reached the vet she was gone.

He said when he went to draw blood he found clumps of red blood cells but no serum or white blood cells. Her temp dropped from a fever of 103.4 (normal = 102) to 90 in a matter of minutes before she went into the coma. He said he'd never seen anything like it and he has been practicing for 46 years. A preliminary autopsy showed the worst spleen damage he has also ever seen. It's been a nightmare.

She was fine 24 hours before. It's hard to even think much less talk about it. The family is devastated. We've all been crying for the last two days. I'm heartbroken.






6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((Betty))) I'm sooo sorry for your loss. My condolences to you and your family.

7:22 AM CDT  
Blogger Heather Harper said...

How sad! I can barely see through the tears to type this.

(((Betty)))

I am so very sorry. Grieving a pet is one of the hardest things to do because of their innocence.

My dachshund became ill, and his health declined rapidly before we had to put him down. He would have died on his own within a matter of days, but I couldn't put him through that.

I'll keep your family in my thoughts.

2:09 PM CDT  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

Again, I'm really sorry, Betty.

2:55 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

My condolences. I'm a dog person, so I understand the heartbreak and the tragedy of losing a dachshund--for little dogs, they're kinda cool.

8:09 PM CDT  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wonderful dog. Wonderful picture. I'm sorry about this.

2:49 PM CDT  
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Betty, I'm just so so sorry.

7:31 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!