Saturday, March 24, 2007

Good News / Bad News



I have heard there are troubles of more than one kind.
Some come from ahead and some come from behind.
But I've bought a big bat. I'm all ready you see.
Now my troubles are going to have troubles with me!
Dr. Seuss

Bad News: Today my physical therapist concurred with my orthopedic surgon -- no more walking for exercise.

Good News: The therapy has gone very well. The pain in the tendon is greatly diminished and as long as I don't over use it my foot and ankle should be okay. The tendon is damaged and will never fully recover, but for now the surgery to fuse bones together doesn't appear to be necessary. YEA!!!

Everyone is saying I should switch to bicycling, which would take the pressure off of the tendon. The way my PT explained it. A deteriorating tendon only has so much life left in it, sort of like a gun with a limited number of bullets. I need to pick and choose how I spend those bullets. Our goal now is to extend the life of the tendon for as long as possible. The exercises I have learned will need to be done for the rest of my life. That's not too bad because they aren't very difficult and they seem to work well. And, he taught me how to properly use a cane. (You hold it in the OPPOSITE hand to the injured foot or ankle.) I've been doing it wrong all my life.

I've hated being dependent upon my daughter and others for transportation. I'm hoping that the Orthopedist will release me to take off the big black boot and to drive when I see him on Monday. I've been a "very" good girl these last several weeks and I'm hoping it is going to pay off.

Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Heather Harper said...

I'm so sorry about you tendon, Betty. I know how frustrating limitations and dependence can be.

Take care!

I just received some relief for my chronic back/hip pain a few days ago. I purchased a couple of magnetic bracelets, and they're actually working.

Whodathunkit? ;)

8:17 AM CDT  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

What about swimming?

9:54 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

(((Betty))) That's great news about the surgery though.

4:44 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

Wow, that's serious. I couldn't imagine living in New York without walking.

I'm glad you don't need the surgery (operations hurt the body and the wallet). And bicycling is kinda fun. You never forget how to do it, either.

Um, I'm guessing that the Dr. Seuss line came from The Time I Went to Solla Sallew (sp?).

2:44 AM CDT  
Blogger Jill Monroe said...

Oh, swimming is a good idea.

Here's hoping you get to feeling better soon!

8:03 AM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!