Saturday, January 06, 2007

OMG !! I'm on eBay !!!




Periodically I do a search for "Becquart" because we have some family members in Europe who are fairly famous. (race car driver, chess champion, chemist, inventor of a world renown carrousel) This time when I entered it, my book, "Shadow Garden" popped up. It was unexpected. I haven't thought of myself as Becquart in so many years that the shock was like being struck by lightening.

I was young at the time. Just out of college. I read the poems now, and it is like they were written by someone else. Amazing!

This book actually won the OWFI Pegasus award that year, and in 1976 was presented to a Convention of Poets Laureate from all over the world who met in Washington DC during the US Bicentennial. A number of Poets Laureate around the world own my book. Don's art work is outstanding. He has since become legally blind. I think his artwork had as much or more to do with the success of the book than anything.

LOL. I can't believe it's on eBay!

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Personally - I think "FAMILY MEMBERS" in Europe...is a bit of a stretch (LOL)

4:26 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

You have to stretch, Europe is "very" far away.

5:02 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

I could say "very distant" relatives who we have never met or spoken to.

In the US we are a small group. You find anyone with that lastname and we are related.

5:03 PM CST  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

This is too cool.

6:00 PM CST  
Blogger Heather Harper said...

That is exciting, Betty.

We owned a hardback of my husband's great-grandmother's poetry, but it was ruined in the Boston flood.

Do you still have copies of your book?

8:02 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Yes. I still have some, but I'm hoping this one sells so that I won't be one of those obscure unsellable poets. Truth be told, the poetry is a little immature and angsty compared to what I've written since I've gotten older. I started college when I was 17, graduated at 20, and for a really young woman who hadn't lived much, it probably wasn't too bad.

I suspect part of why Don and I attempted the project was because we were too young to know we didn't have much of a chance of success. In the end, I think we did quite well considering.

8:30 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Heather, is there anyway to search for another copy of your great-grandmother's book? Do you still have it, even though it was water damaged. There are sometimes ways of treating water damaged books.

8:32 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's very cool, Betty :)

12:18 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

My book sold! I'm so excited, and I'm not even the seller.

1:56 PM CST  
Blogger Heather Harper said...

You've been tagged.

http://heatherharper.blogspot.com/2007/01/womens-fiction-meme.html

12:10 PM CST  
Blogger X. Dell said...

(1) I'm sure you're being modest.

(2) The cool thing is that the winning bid was almost $20. Were it my poetry being sold on e-Bay, I might be able to get six cents for it.

2:47 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!