Sunday, March 26, 2006

Desperately Seeking Buddha


What an interesting Sunday morning.

My friend, Ammanda, and I planned on attending a forum in Edmond at a UU church doing a series on Buddhism. The forum was to begin at 9:45, which was exactly when we arrived. (You can seldom accuse me of being too early for anything.) Just as we pulled into the parking lot, the minister and his wife pulled in behind us. Ours were the only cars there.

Immediately Ammanda and I did what women everywhere are so prone to do. We questioned ourselves. "Is this Saturday?" "Did we misread the newsletter?" "Perhaps we came too early." Why do we, as women do that, I wonder?

It turns the membership sort of trails in between 9:45 and 10 o'clock. We went inside and people started arriving right after we did. Unfortunately, it was then we learned that the announcement was a misprint -- Buddhism was postponed for two weeks -- and instead they were doing a forum on economic justice and the minimum wage. Compared to Buddhism it sounded very boring. By this time we were sitting at a table with the minister and his wife waiting for things to get started. For a moment I felt trapped. I knew Ammanda and I weren't really interested in their program. (Not that economic justic isn't a very important issue. I just have to be in the right frame of mind to think about it.)

Now, I have been physically and spiritually weeding out my life lately. No keeping of anything that doesn't contribute something positive to my existance. Sitting at that table, at that moment, I realized that this was one of those experiences that needed weeding. I turned and diplomatically asked, "Would you think it impolite if we went to breakfast and returned in two weeks for the forum on Buddhism." They laughed, "Not at all. Have a good breakfast and we'll see you in two weeks." (Unitarians are like that.)

We left, had French Toast and Strawberries at La Baggette, and discussed all kinds of spirituality as well as our writing. It was one of the best Sunday mornings I've had in a while.

Life is good.

8 Comments:

Blogger Nienke Hinton said...

Points for you for being true to yourself. If only we could do that more often.

1:38 PM CST  
Blogger Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

It WAS a great morning, Betty! Not that social justice isn't important, of course, but sometimes we just need some French toast and some good conversation with a friend. :)

3:58 PM CST  
Blogger Dana Pollard said...

I would have done the same thing. I'm not shy.

Glad you and Amanda had a great time!

6:37 PM CST  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a great morning :)

9:04 PM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

And STRAWBERRIES!!!

And a really good FRIEND!!!

7:07 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Yes fellow Grasshopper. You speak truth. AND the powdered sugar was good, too.

7:57 PM CST  
Blogger Amanda McCabe/Amanda Carmack/Laurel McKee said...

And the whipped cream. :)

8:01 AM CST  
Blogger Betty S said...

Aha! It was whipped cream.

Was there powdered sugar?

Life is an illusion.

8:14 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!