Saturday, April 15, 2006

What is your earliest memory?



What is your earliest memory?

Look deep into your past.



Write about the first thing or things you remember.

Was it your mother's smile?
The view from between the bars of your crib or playpen?
Do you remember your first steps?
Your first report card?

Mine was when I was barely 4 years old. It was early Spring and I was sitting on the floor in the living room. I was leaning against the screen looking out into the front yard. Mother had told me that "we" were going to have a baby. I really, Really, REALLY wanted a baby brother but she wouldn't make any promises. I sat for a long time looking out that door at the green grass, the two pine trees, and the bright blue sky dotted with puffs of white clouds. I was talking to God, cutting deals and begging him to give me the brother of my heart's desire.

In late November my brother Bill arrived. Mom always said we were lucky, but I knew better. I'd made God an offer he couldn't refuse and it will be our secret forever.

7 Comments:

Blogger Betty S said...

25 hours to go!!!!
Midnight tomorrow and my family can get back to normal.

I feel a margarita coming on...

10:55 PM CDT  
Blogger X. Dell said...

If margarita's your poison, Betty, then by all means enjoy one.

I have fuzzy memories of the JFK assassination (I was twenty months) mostly because of the tremendous upheaval in the house. My first solid memories begin a few months later, accompanying my dad on his rounds. He used to work as an orderly, and one thing he'd have to do is drop in on recently discharged patients to make sure they were okay.

11:12 AM CDT  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Woo Hoo, Betty :)

6:20 PM CDT  
Blogger Rachel said...

Woo hoo! is right. I get calls on 1099s so it'll be nice to have it done with.

6:35 PM CDT  
Blogger Dana Pollard said...

I hate tax season and I don't even do my own taxes. hehe

My first memory. Gee, this is gonna date me, so don't think I'm a baby... cause I'm not.

The day Elvis Presley died. We were moving from Ft. Worth to Odessa and the matresses were up against the wall and we were watching the news and everyone was so upset. I was a little over 3. It's my strongest memory.

I also remember cutting my thumb on a for sale sign next door to us when I was 2. I still have the scar. I had a red, white and blue brush and was banging it on the metal sign and it slid, slicing the top of my thumb open. My father helped me.

10:43 AM CDT  
Blogger Rinda Elliott said...

This is so hard. You think you have a first memory, then another comes bursting on the scene.

I remember my family's first commune experience. It was this gathering of new age religious people in Cushing, OK. I think I was three.

I remember the singing and I remember one of my uncles coming to visit. I thought he was scary. All grown up now and I still do.

10:32 PM CDT  
Blogger Betty S said...

Great memories.

I have a virus that has shut down my computer. I'm on someone else's at the moment. Don't know when I'll be on again.

Just a head's up.

6:56 PM CDT  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!