Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Resurrection - of sorts

I found a friend, one of my students from work, today.
I know that doesn't sound like such a big deal, but I thought she was dead.

"M" went into the hospital on Tuesday morning for some serious surgery. She was suppose to be in surgery from 9:45 till 1 p.m.. She was really nervous. She has had a lot of health problems and the surgeon didn't want to operate because he felt she wouldn't live through the proceedure. Her MD talked him into it because it was her only chance. (Sorry I can't go into more detail) If she made it she was suppose to be in the hospital from 3-5 days recovering. I promised her I would visit on Thursday to check on her.

When I went to Deaconess they had no record of her. They suggested that she might be checked in as confidential, but I knew that wasn't the case. I was then told that if she hadn't survived the operation she would have never been checked into a room and there would be no record of her. I was really upset. I thought "M" had died and I wasn't there for her. I called the office, told my family and CPs. It was horrid.

All Thursday night I had a strong sense of her presence. I wasn't sure what it was. I'm still not sure. I had this compelling feeling that I had to reach her, but I thought she was dead so I was really confused as well as distraught. Our office Administrative Assistant became depressed too, and couldn't accept that "M" had died, so she began phoning different hospitals and asking if she was there. She FOUND her at BAPTIST! How weird is that? They had moved the surgery to a different hospital. I have no idea why. When I was told the great news Friday morning, it was like the resurrection of the dead.

I visited yesterday (Friday) morning and she was doing terrible. In addition, she was feeling very alone and frightened. It's been 4 days and she still has tubes poking out all over her. She is in a great deal of pain. She held onto my hand and didn't want me to leave, so I sat beside her and stroked her hand and tried to calm her. "It's hard, Betty. It's so hard. The pain is really bad."

Her eyes never opened more than half way and she was a little out of her head part of the time. Her mother didn't seem to know why she isn't improving. I suspect there must have been some complications. I promised I would check on her every day.

She asked for prayers to stay strong, be courageous, to heal and make the pain stop.

I'm passing that request along to all of you.
She is having a very difficult time.

1 Comments:

Blogger Betty S said...

I went by Sunday and they had moved her into intensive care. Hopefully, she will be back in a room sometime today.

10:28 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home


CLICK HERE TO GET A NEW CURSOR!